Despite the abundance of wild mushrooms growing in a variety of habitats in Taiwan, mushroom poisoning is rarely reported. Here, we report two cases of mushroom poisoning, possibly due to Amanita smithiana or a related species. A 54-year-old man and his 52-year-old wife presented with acute anuric renal failure 1 day after ingesting some white mushrooms they had collected when mountain climbing; they made a full recovery following hemodialysis and supportive treatment. Although rare, mushroom poisoning should be considered in the differential diagnoses of acute renal failure.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes