Esophageal reconstruction for hypopharyngoesophageal strictures after corrosive injury

Ming Ho Wu, Yau Lin Tseng, Mu Yen Lin, Wu Wei Lai

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

30 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective: To evaluate the surgical outcome of patients with caustic stricture of the hypopharyngoesophagus. Materials and methods: During a 25-year period, we performed esophageal reconstruction in 152 patients with diffuse or multiple caustic esophageal stricture. Of them, esophageal substitute was pulled up and anastomosed to the hypopharynx in 50 (33%) patients, and anastomosed to the cervical esophagus in the other 102 (67%) patients. Patients whose esophageal substitute anastomosed to the hypopharynx were enrolled to the present study. Among these 50 study patients, 13 underwent ablation of damaged organs and feeding jejunostomy in acute stage of corrosive injury, and the remaining 37 patients were initially organ preserved with or without feeding gastrostomy or jejunostomy. Six patients had respiratory distress caused by laryngotracheal stricture. The ileocolon (28/50) was commonly used as an esophageal substitute in reconstruction and most substitutes (43/50) went through the substernal route. Results: There was one operative death. Eight (16%) patients had major early postoperative complications. Six patients underwent revision for late stenosis of hypopharyngeal anastomosis, and one redoing reconstruction using the jejunum because of failure of the transplanted ileocolon. Postoperatively, swallow function and maintaining body weight were considered good in 42 patients (84%) after an average of 8 months follow-up. Five of six patients who underwent concomitant tracheostomy or laryngosurgery for laryngotracheal stricture got unsatisfactory result. The surgical outcome of the study patients was worse than that in patients with esophageal substitute anastomosed to a healthy cervical esophagus. In the later group of patients, 95/102 (93%) had good swallow function and only 7/102 (6.8%) had major early complications. Conclusion: Caustic stricture of the hypopharyngoesophagus is a challenging reconstructive problem. A successful reconstruction requires a correct hypopharyngeal opening and anastomosis, a good esophageal substitute, and a patent esophageal route and airway.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)400-405
Number of pages6
JournalEuropean Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery
Volume19
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2001

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Surgery
  • Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Esophageal reconstruction for hypopharyngoesophageal strictures after corrosive injury'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this