The cases of three patients with acute pulmonary oedema caused by inhalation of fumes from heated polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) in a plastic factory are described. One patient died from profound hypoxaemia and shock shortly after admission, and the other two patients survived after medical treatment. This is the first report of fatal pulmonary oedema in a worker exposed to PTFE heated in a plastic extruding operation. From this observation, it appears that inhalation exposure to pyrolytic products from polytetrafluoroethylene can cause fatal respiratory complications. Special precautions are warranted in this kind of operation to prevent workers from being exposed to these substances.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine