Prevalence study of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly of Taiwan

Chia-Chang Chuang, Shan-Tair Wang, Pei Wen Wang, Mei Lin Yu

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

24 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The present study was aimed at investigating the prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly, aged 65 years or older, in a community of southern Taiwan. By using the records of the local household registry, a sampling frame for the elderly population was constructed, and a sample of 1,400 subjects was drawn by simple random sampling. After the exclusion of nonresponse subjects, 917 subjects aged between 65 and 88 years (mean 71.9) were included in our survey. The serum thyrotropin levels of these participants were measured by monoclonal antibodies TSH immunoradiometric assays. A normal range, 0.45-4.65 μU/ml, was determined from the middle 95% of the TSH distribution of 140 'disease-free' subjects. By reference to the normal range, 23 (2.51%) participants had high (> 4.65 μU/ml), and 41 (4.47%) had low (< 0.46 μU/ml) TSH levels. The overall prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the sample was 6.98%. Of the 23 participants with high TSH levels, 8 (34.8%) had low free T4 values (< 1.21 ng/dl), so-called overt hypothyroidism, and of the 41 participants with low TSH levels, only 1 (2.4%) had high T3 values, so-called T3 thyrotoxicosis. Antithyroid antibodies were found in 56.5% of those with high TSH levels but only 12.2% of those with low TSH levels (odds ratio = 8.53, 95% confidence limits = 2.55-28.50, p < 0.001). This result indicates that autoimmune disease is still the major cause of hypothyroidism in aged people. However, the prevalence of subclinical hyperthyroidism is higher than that of subclinical hypothyroidism and it might relate to nonautoimmune factors.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)162-167
Number of pages6
JournalGerontology
Volume44
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1998 Jan 1

Fingerprint

Hypothyroidism
Taiwan
Thyroid Gland
Cross-Sectional Studies
Reference Values
Immunoradiometric Assay
Thyrotoxicosis
Thyrotropin
Hyperthyroidism
Autoimmune Diseases
Registries
Odds Ratio
Monoclonal Antibodies
Antibodies
Serum
Population

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Ageing
  • Geriatrics and Gerontology

Cite this

Chuang, Chia-Chang ; Wang, Shan-Tair ; Wang, Pei Wen ; Yu, Mei Lin. / Prevalence study of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly of Taiwan. In: Gerontology. 1998 ; Vol. 44, No. 3. pp. 162-167.
@article{f25e303a660744b89141cddfc522478d,
title = "Prevalence study of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly of Taiwan",
abstract = "The present study was aimed at investigating the prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly, aged 65 years or older, in a community of southern Taiwan. By using the records of the local household registry, a sampling frame for the elderly population was constructed, and a sample of 1,400 subjects was drawn by simple random sampling. After the exclusion of nonresponse subjects, 917 subjects aged between 65 and 88 years (mean 71.9) were included in our survey. The serum thyrotropin levels of these participants were measured by monoclonal antibodies TSH immunoradiometric assays. A normal range, 0.45-4.65 μU/ml, was determined from the middle 95{\%} of the TSH distribution of 140 'disease-free' subjects. By reference to the normal range, 23 (2.51{\%}) participants had high (> 4.65 μU/ml), and 41 (4.47{\%}) had low (< 0.46 μU/ml) TSH levels. The overall prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the sample was 6.98{\%}. Of the 23 participants with high TSH levels, 8 (34.8{\%}) had low free T4 values (< 1.21 ng/dl), so-called overt hypothyroidism, and of the 41 participants with low TSH levels, only 1 (2.4{\%}) had high T3 values, so-called T3 thyrotoxicosis. Antithyroid antibodies were found in 56.5{\%} of those with high TSH levels but only 12.2{\%} of those with low TSH levels (odds ratio = 8.53, 95{\%} confidence limits = 2.55-28.50, p < 0.001). This result indicates that autoimmune disease is still the major cause of hypothyroidism in aged people. However, the prevalence of subclinical hyperthyroidism is higher than that of subclinical hypothyroidism and it might relate to nonautoimmune factors.",
author = "Chia-Chang Chuang and Shan-Tair Wang and Wang, {Pei Wen} and Yu, {Mei Lin}",
year = "1998",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1159/000022002",
language = "English",
volume = "44",
pages = "162--167",
journal = "Gerontology",
issn = "0304-324X",
publisher = "S. Karger AG",
number = "3",

}

Prevalence study of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly of Taiwan. / Chuang, Chia-Chang; Wang, Shan-Tair; Wang, Pei Wen; Yu, Mei Lin.

In: Gerontology, Vol. 44, No. 3, 01.01.1998, p. 162-167.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Prevalence study of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly of Taiwan

AU - Chuang, Chia-Chang

AU - Wang, Shan-Tair

AU - Wang, Pei Wen

AU - Yu, Mei Lin

PY - 1998/1/1

Y1 - 1998/1/1

N2 - The present study was aimed at investigating the prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly, aged 65 years or older, in a community of southern Taiwan. By using the records of the local household registry, a sampling frame for the elderly population was constructed, and a sample of 1,400 subjects was drawn by simple random sampling. After the exclusion of nonresponse subjects, 917 subjects aged between 65 and 88 years (mean 71.9) were included in our survey. The serum thyrotropin levels of these participants were measured by monoclonal antibodies TSH immunoradiometric assays. A normal range, 0.45-4.65 μU/ml, was determined from the middle 95% of the TSH distribution of 140 'disease-free' subjects. By reference to the normal range, 23 (2.51%) participants had high (> 4.65 μU/ml), and 41 (4.47%) had low (< 0.46 μU/ml) TSH levels. The overall prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the sample was 6.98%. Of the 23 participants with high TSH levels, 8 (34.8%) had low free T4 values (< 1.21 ng/dl), so-called overt hypothyroidism, and of the 41 participants with low TSH levels, only 1 (2.4%) had high T3 values, so-called T3 thyrotoxicosis. Antithyroid antibodies were found in 56.5% of those with high TSH levels but only 12.2% of those with low TSH levels (odds ratio = 8.53, 95% confidence limits = 2.55-28.50, p < 0.001). This result indicates that autoimmune disease is still the major cause of hypothyroidism in aged people. However, the prevalence of subclinical hyperthyroidism is higher than that of subclinical hypothyroidism and it might relate to nonautoimmune factors.

AB - The present study was aimed at investigating the prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly, aged 65 years or older, in a community of southern Taiwan. By using the records of the local household registry, a sampling frame for the elderly population was constructed, and a sample of 1,400 subjects was drawn by simple random sampling. After the exclusion of nonresponse subjects, 917 subjects aged between 65 and 88 years (mean 71.9) were included in our survey. The serum thyrotropin levels of these participants were measured by monoclonal antibodies TSH immunoradiometric assays. A normal range, 0.45-4.65 μU/ml, was determined from the middle 95% of the TSH distribution of 140 'disease-free' subjects. By reference to the normal range, 23 (2.51%) participants had high (> 4.65 μU/ml), and 41 (4.47%) had low (< 0.46 μU/ml) TSH levels. The overall prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the sample was 6.98%. Of the 23 participants with high TSH levels, 8 (34.8%) had low free T4 values (< 1.21 ng/dl), so-called overt hypothyroidism, and of the 41 participants with low TSH levels, only 1 (2.4%) had high T3 values, so-called T3 thyrotoxicosis. Antithyroid antibodies were found in 56.5% of those with high TSH levels but only 12.2% of those with low TSH levels (odds ratio = 8.53, 95% confidence limits = 2.55-28.50, p < 0.001). This result indicates that autoimmune disease is still the major cause of hypothyroidism in aged people. However, the prevalence of subclinical hyperthyroidism is higher than that of subclinical hypothyroidism and it might relate to nonautoimmune factors.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0031949675&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0031949675&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1159/000022002

DO - 10.1159/000022002

M3 - Article

VL - 44

SP - 162

EP - 167

JO - Gerontology

JF - Gerontology

SN - 0304-324X

IS - 3

ER -