Stromelysin-1 promoter 5A/6A polymorphism is an independent genetic prognostic risk factor and interacts with smoking cessation after index premature myocardial infarction

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective: To evaluate the prognostic roles of multiple polymorphisms and smoking cessation for premature myocardial infarction (MI). Methods: We studied 170 patients with MI onset before the age of 45 years (range 27-45 years, 84% men) and analyzed the traditional risk factors and several candidate genes' associations with their subsequent coronary events. Results: Follow-up data were available for a total of 162 individuals (95.3%) with the other 38 individuals (4.7%) being lost-to-follow-up premature MI patients. During a mean period of 4.43 years' follow-up, diabetes mellitus (DM), hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and Killip's status ≥1I were more frequent among patients with subsequent cardiac events (all P-values <0.05). The frequency of 5A allele of stromelysin-1 gene was significantly higher among event group (P = 0.01). Smoking cessation after MI, use of β-blocker or angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEI) could improve outcome (all P-values < 0.05). After multivariate analysis, we found that DM was an independent risk factor for survival [Hazard ratio (HR) 2.45, P = 0.01]. Successful smoking cessation and therapy with ACEI could have a protective effect (HR 0.33 and 0.09, P = 0.01 and <0.01, respectively). The stromelysin-1 5A gene polymorphism was also an independent survival predictor (HR 2.51, P = 0.03). In addition, smoking cessation could significantly modify the risk, especially among patients with 5A allele polymorphism (HR 6.75 vs. 1.50). Conclusion: We thus conclude that the stromelysin-1 gene polymorphism alone or in combination with smoking cessation can influence the prognosis after index premature MI.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1998-2005
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume3
Issue number9
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2005 Dec 1

Fingerprint

Matrix Metalloproteinase 3
Smoking Cessation
Myocardial Infarction
Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors
Genes
Diabetes Mellitus
Survival
Lost to Follow-Up
Hypercholesterolemia
Age of Onset
Gene Frequency
Multivariate Analysis
Alleles
Hypertension

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Hematology

Cite this

@article{bcae7edbedbe44f4854ccf3efd2a7e69,
title = "Stromelysin-1 promoter 5A/6A polymorphism is an independent genetic prognostic risk factor and interacts with smoking cessation after index premature myocardial infarction",
abstract = "Objective: To evaluate the prognostic roles of multiple polymorphisms and smoking cessation for premature myocardial infarction (MI). Methods: We studied 170 patients with MI onset before the age of 45 years (range 27-45 years, 84{\%} men) and analyzed the traditional risk factors and several candidate genes' associations with their subsequent coronary events. Results: Follow-up data were available for a total of 162 individuals (95.3{\%}) with the other 38 individuals (4.7{\%}) being lost-to-follow-up premature MI patients. During a mean period of 4.43 years' follow-up, diabetes mellitus (DM), hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and Killip's status ≥1I were more frequent among patients with subsequent cardiac events (all P-values <0.05). The frequency of 5A allele of stromelysin-1 gene was significantly higher among event group (P = 0.01). Smoking cessation after MI, use of β-blocker or angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEI) could improve outcome (all P-values < 0.05). After multivariate analysis, we found that DM was an independent risk factor for survival [Hazard ratio (HR) 2.45, P = 0.01]. Successful smoking cessation and therapy with ACEI could have a protective effect (HR 0.33 and 0.09, P = 0.01 and <0.01, respectively). The stromelysin-1 5A gene polymorphism was also an independent survival predictor (HR 2.51, P = 0.03). In addition, smoking cessation could significantly modify the risk, especially among patients with 5A allele polymorphism (HR 6.75 vs. 1.50). Conclusion: We thus conclude that the stromelysin-1 gene polymorphism alone or in combination with smoking cessation can influence the prognosis after index premature MI.",
author = "Ping-Yen Liu and Yi-Heng Li and Wei-Chuan Tsai and Liang-Miin Tsai and Ting-Hsing Chao and Hua-Lin Wu and Chen, {Jyh Hong}",
year = "2005",
month = "12",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1111/j.1538-7836.2005.01515.x",
language = "English",
volume = "3",
pages = "1998--2005",
journal = "Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis",
issn = "1538-7933",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "9",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Stromelysin-1 promoter 5A/6A polymorphism is an independent genetic prognostic risk factor and interacts with smoking cessation after index premature myocardial infarction

AU - Liu, Ping-Yen

AU - Li, Yi-Heng

AU - Tsai, Wei-Chuan

AU - Tsai, Liang-Miin

AU - Chao, Ting-Hsing

AU - Wu, Hua-Lin

AU - Chen, Jyh Hong

PY - 2005/12/1

Y1 - 2005/12/1

N2 - Objective: To evaluate the prognostic roles of multiple polymorphisms and smoking cessation for premature myocardial infarction (MI). Methods: We studied 170 patients with MI onset before the age of 45 years (range 27-45 years, 84% men) and analyzed the traditional risk factors and several candidate genes' associations with their subsequent coronary events. Results: Follow-up data were available for a total of 162 individuals (95.3%) with the other 38 individuals (4.7%) being lost-to-follow-up premature MI patients. During a mean period of 4.43 years' follow-up, diabetes mellitus (DM), hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and Killip's status ≥1I were more frequent among patients with subsequent cardiac events (all P-values <0.05). The frequency of 5A allele of stromelysin-1 gene was significantly higher among event group (P = 0.01). Smoking cessation after MI, use of β-blocker or angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEI) could improve outcome (all P-values < 0.05). After multivariate analysis, we found that DM was an independent risk factor for survival [Hazard ratio (HR) 2.45, P = 0.01]. Successful smoking cessation and therapy with ACEI could have a protective effect (HR 0.33 and 0.09, P = 0.01 and <0.01, respectively). The stromelysin-1 5A gene polymorphism was also an independent survival predictor (HR 2.51, P = 0.03). In addition, smoking cessation could significantly modify the risk, especially among patients with 5A allele polymorphism (HR 6.75 vs. 1.50). Conclusion: We thus conclude that the stromelysin-1 gene polymorphism alone or in combination with smoking cessation can influence the prognosis after index premature MI.

AB - Objective: To evaluate the prognostic roles of multiple polymorphisms and smoking cessation for premature myocardial infarction (MI). Methods: We studied 170 patients with MI onset before the age of 45 years (range 27-45 years, 84% men) and analyzed the traditional risk factors and several candidate genes' associations with their subsequent coronary events. Results: Follow-up data were available for a total of 162 individuals (95.3%) with the other 38 individuals (4.7%) being lost-to-follow-up premature MI patients. During a mean period of 4.43 years' follow-up, diabetes mellitus (DM), hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and Killip's status ≥1I were more frequent among patients with subsequent cardiac events (all P-values <0.05). The frequency of 5A allele of stromelysin-1 gene was significantly higher among event group (P = 0.01). Smoking cessation after MI, use of β-blocker or angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEI) could improve outcome (all P-values < 0.05). After multivariate analysis, we found that DM was an independent risk factor for survival [Hazard ratio (HR) 2.45, P = 0.01]. Successful smoking cessation and therapy with ACEI could have a protective effect (HR 0.33 and 0.09, P = 0.01 and <0.01, respectively). The stromelysin-1 5A gene polymorphism was also an independent survival predictor (HR 2.51, P = 0.03). In addition, smoking cessation could significantly modify the risk, especially among patients with 5A allele polymorphism (HR 6.75 vs. 1.50). Conclusion: We thus conclude that the stromelysin-1 gene polymorphism alone or in combination with smoking cessation can influence the prognosis after index premature MI.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=30644469732&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=30644469732&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2005.01515.x

DO - 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2005.01515.x

M3 - Article

C2 - 16102106

AN - SCOPUS:30644469732

VL - 3

SP - 1998

EP - 2005

JO - Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis

JF - Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis

SN - 1538-7933

IS - 9

ER -