The reasons for and mortality of patients unable to receive reimplantation after resection arthroplasty for chronic hip periprosthetic infection

Yu Hsuan Lin, Chao Jui Chang, Chih Wei Chang, Yi Chen Chen, Ta Wei Tai

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Two-stage exchange arthroplasty is a feasible treatment for chronic PJI (periprosthetic joint infection) of total hip arthroplasty (THA). However, there are large numbers of patients who are unable to ultimately receive reimplantation after resection arthroplasty owing to uncontrolled infection and multiple comorbidities. The purpose of the current study was to identify patient-related risk factors and reasons for being unable to undergo revision THA. Methods: Individuals undergoing resection arthroplasty for chronic PJI treatment from 2013 to 2020 at our institution were retrospectively reviewed. A variety of patient comorbidities, laboratory data, isolated pathogens, and follow-up status were collected for analysis. Results: A total of 84 patients (46 men and 38 women) with a 2.7 ± 2.1-year follow-up were analyzed. Thirty-eight (45.2%) patients eventually underwent revision THA, while the other 46 (54.8%) did not receive reimplantation during follow-up. The patients without receiving reimplantation had higher Charlson comorbidity index (CCI) score (3.1 ± 2.9 versus 1.2 ± 1.5; p = 0.001). Lower cumulative incidence of receiving reimplantation was observed in patients with chronic kidney disease (log-rank test, p = 0.019), anemia (p = 0.011), presence of initial fever (p = 0.030), and oxacillin-resistant strain infection (p = 0.030). The most common reasons for not receiving reimplantation were uncontrolled infection, unstable medical conditions, and death. The patients without reimplantation had a relatively higher mortality rate (log-rank test, p = 0.002). Conclusion: Chronic hip PJI with poor medical conditions or oxacillin-resistant strain infection decreased the chance of undergoing revision surgery. These patients had unfavourable outcomes and a higher mortality rate after resection arthroplasty.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)465-472
Number of pages8
JournalInternational Orthopaedics
Volume46
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2022 Mar

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Surgery
  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'The reasons for and mortality of patients unable to receive reimplantation after resection arthroplasty for chronic hip periprosthetic infection'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this