Association of environmental features and the risk of alzheimer’s dementia in older adults: A nationwide longitudinal case-control study

Chih Ching Liu, Chung-Yi Li, Shiann-Far Kung, Hsien Wen Kuo, Nuan Ching Huang, Yu Sun, Susan C. Hu

研究成果: Article同行評審

2 引文 斯高帕斯(Scopus)

摘要

Little is known about the association between environmental features and the risk of Alzheimer’s dementia (AD). This study aims to investigate the association of physical and social environments with the incidence of AD. We identified 12,401 newly diagnosed AD cases aged ≥65 years in 2010, with the same no. of matched controls from National Health Insurance claims in Taiwan. Environmental data were collected from government statistics including three physical environments and three social environments. Multilevel logistic regression was conducted to calculate the odds ratios (OR) of AD in association with environmental features at the township level. Results showed that living in the areas with higher availability of playgrounds and sport venues was associated with a 3% decreased odds of AD (95% CI = 0.96–0.99), while higher density of elderly living alone was associated with a 5% increased odds of AD (95% CI = 1.01–1.11), after controlling for individual and other environmental factors. In further examination by urbanization level, the above relationships were found only in rural areas but not in urban areas. This study provides evidence that specific physical and social environmental features have different impacts on the risk of AD.

原文English
文章編號2828
期刊International journal of environmental research and public health
16
發行號16
DOIs
出版狀態Published - 2019 八月 2

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
  • Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis

指紋 深入研究「Association of environmental features and the risk of alzheimer’s dementia in older adults: A nationwide longitudinal case-control study」主題。共同形成了獨特的指紋。

引用此